The national award-winning Gwinnett County Parks & Recreation operates 44 parks and facilities and has one of the most ambitious greenspace programs in the nation with 9,000 acres of park land. Several parks are being planned and updated with new equipment and facilities as promised in the 2009 SPLOST sales tax program.
In addition, new facilities include four community centers, four aquatic centers, two tennis centers, a roller hockey rink, two skate bowls, a playground for children with special needs and several ball fields and dog parks. Gwinnett County Parks & Recreation is committed to serving every resident by offering more than 5,000 classes, summer camps and special events.
Some highlights of Gwinnett County parks include:
- The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area includes five park units in Gwinnett County: Bowmans Island, Settles Bridge, Suwanee Creek, Abbotts Bridge and Medlock Bridge. Visitors can canoe, kayak and raft on Class I and II waterways, hike, and explore a wide variety of natural habitats and 19th century historic sites.
- The world’s largest manmade lake beckons Gwinnett County residents to Lake Lanier Islands Resort’s more than 400 wooded campsites for boating, fishing, hiking, biking, horseback riding, and Beach and Water Park (open from Memorial to Labor Day).
- At Stone Mountain Park, families can experience more than 3,200 acres of entertainment and recreation, including the 1870s Southern town, Crossroads, Georgia’s only 4D theater, The Great Barn, and the Treehouse Challenge. Plus, enjoy the Lasershow Spectacular, the Paddlewheel Riverboat, the Skylift to the top of the world’s largest piece of exposed granite, the Scenic Railroad, the Antebellum Plantation and Farmyard, the Discovering Stone Mountain Museum, mini-golf, water slide complex, unique shopping and great dining.
For information about all of Gwinnett’s park and recreational facilities, visit Gwinnett County Parks & Recreation at http://www.gwinnettparks.com/.
One of the most popular sports in the country, golf gets plenty of play in Gwinnett County on courses designed by some of the most renowned course architects in the world—Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman, to name a few.
Following are some of the Gwinnett area’s premier golf courses:
- Bear’s Best Atlanta, 678-390-4704
- Berkeley Hills Country Club, 770-448-8353
- Château Élan, 678-425-6050
- Collins Hill Golf Club, 770-822-5400
- Legacy on Lanier Golf Club at Lanier Islands Resort, 678-318-7861
- The Georgia Club, 770-725-8100
- Hamilton Mill Golf Club, 770-945-4653
- Northwood Country Club, 678-250-5026
- Stone Mountain Golf Club’s Stonemont & Lakemont Courses, 770-465-3278
- Sugar Hill Golf Club, 770-271-0519
- Summit Chase Country Club, 770-979-9000
- TPC at Sugarloaf, 770-418-1113
- The River Club Golf Course, 678-546-2026
Gwinnett County’s Parks & Recreation offers tennis centers and courts at several of its parks, and there are numerous private courts in various residential complexes.